Validity of the US multiple entry visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Validity of the US multiple entry visa

My parents visited us in 2006 and we had applied for their extension, which got declined and they left the country within 2 weeks. We received the letter stating that their application for extnsion has been declined, which we received after their I 94 had expired. We applied for extension 4 weeks before their I 94 expired. I know there are stories about how the 10 year multiple entry visa gets automatically cancelled etc. and some say if you leave within 30 days it does not get cancelled.

We want to bring them to the US this year and I want to know if there is a way we can check the validity of the Visa before we book the tickets. Maybe sending visa info to US counsalate or some place here in the US, would they be able to say if the visa is cancelled or not? Has anyone tried doing it in the past?

Originally posted by lalitharam
    I know there are stories about how the 10 year multiple entry visa gets automatically cancelled etc.
    They are not stories but facts. Read from the official source in this thread.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Just for clarification since there is no USA Exit stamp.... If extension is applied before I-94 expires, and then person leaves USA before I-94 expires, and later a denial is issued, which of these would hold true for next visit:

1) should one expect to be stopped while departing home country because his visa is expired and one has to show tickets and boarding passes to convince/argue that visa is valid? 2) should one expect to convince/argue only at POE in USA?. 3) None of above. 4) Nove of above IF person notifies INS to withdraw his I-539 request before denial is issued, that way they update their systems.

Appreciate your input. Thanks.

Comment

Regardless of the I-539 being approved or denied, if the visitor leaves before the I-94 expires, then they are "Safe".

There is NO exit stamp, but you must turn in your I-94 stub, which in turn will be recorded and matched with your initial I-94 entry record, showing you departed in time.

So, after such thing one should expect some questioning at the POE (whether the extension was approved or denied) mostly having to do with Why filing and extension, but it depends on the time from one visit to the next.

One should never expect problems LEAVING the USA, even if the I-94 has expired or not.
        Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

quite well thought reply. Thanks.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X