Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost passport and visa

Hi all,
    My mother got her US visa 2 years back. Unfortunately she recently lost her passport with the visa in India. I wanted to know that - what is the process of getting a new visa and whether it is easy to get a new one? If anyone has faced a similar situation please let me know. She has the photocopy of her passport and visa and is going to lodge a FIR.
    Any information will be much appreciated.
    Thanks

After obtaining the PP, the process is just like a "new" visa application. No different.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. So is it important to lodge a FIR? I mean they would have records of my mom being issued a visa 2 years back so I would think that the proof of lost passport might be required. As I said in my first post that she has a copy of her passport id pages but does not have the copy of the visa page. Can that cause a problem?

Comment

An issuance of duplicate passport would likely require a police complaint. Not having a copy of visa is immaterial as a visa has to be applied like a new visa.

To avoid misuse, it is better to inform american consulate about the loss of the passport with a stamped valid visa.
        Last edited by txh1b; 01-05-2009, 11:40 AM.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks again. The complaint has been lodged. When we called up the consulate to inform of the loss of visa, they said this info with complaint no. would be required when my mother reapplies for the visa. So does this mean that when she fills up the new application she will have to mention it there? Does she need to carry the FIR report with her? Should we call up again once she reapplies?

Comment

She has to mention it during the interview and carry necessary proof for the same. There is no room for such explanation on the visa forms.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X