Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents Arrived on visitor visa met with an accident

Hello There,

I am writing this thread to help out my colleague going through a very complicated situation.

His parents arrived to USA on visitor visa and were staying here since last 1 and half month. He did not insured his parents.

4 days back his father met with a serious accident and got admited into a hospital. His father is still unconscious and doctors have told it might even take months for him to come into cinsciousness due to severe head injury.

Patient can not travel back to India as his ribs are broken (even through he recovers from unconciousness).

Cops claimed that it was drivers mistake and he has to pay hospital bill from his own insurance. However, insurance company told that driver had insurance only upto 15000 dollars and they can pay upto that only.

Is there any way, where NJ state or USA government can help him to get through this trouble. As hospital bill might mount up to 100K.

Any thoughts or opinion in this regards will help us to fix this issue.

thanks,
    Pratik

No, there is not such thing.

Why should the USA or state, through tax payer's money, pay for his medical bills?

He should have gotten insurance and will now have to pay back the hospital. Get a lawyer and sue the Taxi Company.
    Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

It is unfortunate, this incident. I suggest your friend should NOT just pay up the bills meekly. He must get advice from a good hospital claims lawyer on how to approach this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by PraetorianXI View Post
        He should have gotten insurance and will now have to pay back the hospital. Get a lawyer and sue the Taxi Company.
        Lawyers will jump at this case if they were travelling in a taxi. But I dont see OP mentioning that they were indeed travelling in a taxi.

Comment

Many people mistakenly think that their visiting parents are healthy, are going to be here only for a short duration and therefore don't need the visitors insurance. Well, insurance is really only for healthy people and the duration does not matter because anything can happen at any time.

Government can't really help the tourists who need medical care.

If you have been following the news lately, you would notice that Obama is trying to get the rule passed for the healthcare for 45 million Americans who don't have any health insurance. And that does not seem to go anywhere.

In such a scenario, how can anyone expect the US government to take care of the uninsured tourists?

The best thing would have been to buy the visitors medical insurance in advance of this type of accident happening, even before they arrived in the US. Many such plans are available at https://www.insubuy.com There many plans to choose from and the cost is reasonable. If you have any questions regarding any of the plans, please feel free to post them here or contact us at any time.
          Thanks & Regards
          Insubuy
          Toll Free: (866) INSUBUY
          Local: (972) 985-4400
          Fax: (972) 767-4470

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X