Carrying jewellery for wedding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrying jewellery for wedding

Hi, my parents and relatives are coming from India to attend my wedding in USA. Can they carry all jewellery, does it have to be declared, what do they have to tell at customs? Some of the jewellery are for gifting while others will be for their own use. Thanks for your help in advance.

Depending on the cost involved, it might be a good idea to let them know that you will be taking them back with you.

In general, personal use items need not be declared but it may lead to complications.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

make sure they declare everything of consequential value and have receipts if they are returning with 'swag.'

Comment

All jewelry must be declared. Otherwise, the state can confiscate it, and you will be fined. Last year my wife and I got married in Connecticut. We were from Massachusetts ourselves, but we chose to celebrate the wedding in another state to make it easier for relatives who came to the party to get home. Many of our friends gave us gold and silver jewelry. My wife's mother gave religious charm necklaces for Gloria since she is from a religious family. There were no problems until we were about to leave the state. No one had receipts for the jewelry, so the cops thought we were suspicious.
        Last edited by leoGreed; 04-29-2022, 06:28 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X