marrying on a tourist visa or K1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marrying on a tourist visa or K1

My girlfriend(Colombian) has been in the US for 3 months now on a tourist visa. I'm an American seeking advice what to do. We plan to live in the Bahamas ( I have a work permit) . We need to leave in 2 weeks

Should we get married in the Bahamas and apply for the K1 visa from there?

Can she travel to the US with her US tourist visa while the K1 is pending?

Any other options? I know I could get married in the US under her tourist visa, but it would take months until she has AP..

Thank you

are you an USC?
    Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

yes ,I'm a US citizen. So far I found that getting married in the Bahamas on a CR 1 visa is my best bet. I just want to make sure that my future wife can travel back in forth to the US and Colombia during the waiting period. She does have a US tourist visa that is valid this time around until June 15. But we plan to leave the US for the Bahamas in 2 weeks to live.(I have a work permit for the Bahamas)We plan to marry in a 1 month to 6 weeks there, and submit the paperwork in the Bahamas.

Thank you

Comment

Once you both get married and you file for her, she won't be able to travel to US on her visitor visa. If she enters and the computer at entry picks up your immigrant petition filed for her, her visitor visa will be canceled. This is because a visitor status requires a non-immigrant intent. If computer makes an error, she may be able to pass.

YOu can file for her immigrant visa in bahamas only after you have lived there for at least 6 months.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X