Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question -- Do you need UK transit visa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question -- Do you need UK transit visa?

Hi all,

My parents (aged 59 and 56) are visiting US for the first time. They will be traveling by Emirates and changing over to Virgin Atlantic at London.

I heard there is a new regulation in place that requires people coming to US to take UK transit Visa even if they are just changing flights en route to the US.

Is it true? If so, what are the details.

Thanks in advance.

Not required if they have non-expired visitors visa stamp in the passport.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Re: Do you need Transit Visa?

Hi andhrawala,

I had the same doubt and sent an email to british embassy and got the below reply. Even my parents are coming through london this april and they have to change airports also. My dad called and talked to tehm and they confirmed that we donot need one. My parents are planning to take a copy of the email with them just incase. You think over and take the decission at your risk.

Email Reply: (Scroll and read the email question first.)
      ------------------------------------------------------
      Thank you for your Email.
      Your parents do not require Direct Air Transit Visas if they hold valid US/Canadian visas and also hold a ticket to or from the US/Canada routed via the UK. This includes a period of 48 hours after the expiry of the US/Canadian visa for those choosing to leave the US or Canada at the very end of the validity of their visa (this exemption applies also to persons travelling with a valid US 'Advance Parole' Form 155 or a Canadian "R1-Permanent Resident" facilitation travel document/sticker issued to returning residents).
      They need to pass though UK Immigration to meet relatives or find accommodation.
      However, if possession of a DATV is not necessary, the traveller can benefit from the Transit Without Visa (TWOV) concession - providing that the stopover in the UK will not exceed 24 hours.
      Under this concession, a person may be admitted to the UK without a visa for a period not exceeding 24 hours - providing that the Immigration Officer is satisfied that the person is genuinely in transit and will be able to enter the country of onward destination. The TWOV concession allows the traveller to depart from a different airport within the UK to that of arrival and also to stay in an hotel (or with friends) if necessary.

Sent by:
      Public Enquiries (R), UKvisas, London SW1A 2AH
      Telephone: 020 7008 8438 (UK only)
      Web-site: <www.ukvisas.gov.uk>

-----Original Message-----
      Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 6:44 PM
      To: [email protected]
      Subject: Comment from Nagabhiru - General Information

Questions About Transit Visa:

Dear Sir/Madam,
      My parents are planning to visit USA in March 2004 from India via London. They are Indians. They are planning to leave london within 24 hours, they are having valid US visa and will be having cinfirmed airplane tickets from India-London-Detroit (USA). They just want to see a relative and leave within 24 hours.

So my questions
      1. Do they need to take any visa?
      2. Can they visit relative in the airport itself without leaving the airport?
      3. Can they pass through the immigration to meet the relative.
      4. Can they have any accomodation in the airport itself without leaving it?
      5. If they need to change airports, then should they need a visa?
      I tried my best to get answers to these but I am getting all kinds of mixed answers. My parents are old and I don't want them to face any problems. I highly appreciate for your help in this.

Thanking You,
      Nagabhiru
      **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****
      Visit www.fco.gov.uk for British foreign policy news and travel advice; and www.i-uk.com - the essential guide to the UK.

Please note that all messages sent and received by members of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and its missions overseas may be monitored centrally. This is done to ensure the integrity of the system.

**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****

Comment

Re: Transit Visa

Thanks very much for your detailed reply, SNagabhiru

I really appreciate your help. It proved very useful.

Does the same apply to France too?

Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X