Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B2 visa , I-94 and POE - help needed fast

Hi gurus,

Let me start off by saying that your forum was of great help to me 5 years back when i got my GC. Thanks again.

My mother-in-law has been approved for 10 yr multiple entry B2 visa. My father-in-law's visa should also be approved, though he had to sent his resume and details of work ( he's working in a sensitive government dept.). My mom-in-law took round trip ticket to come in July and go back at the end of october ( 4 months ). My father-in-law is planning to come only in October, for a month. My mother-in-law wants to go back with my father-in-law. So far so good.

Question is, there is a slight chance that my father in law might not be able to come in October, rather he could come one month late, in November. So my mother-in-law would need to stay back for another month.

My mother-in-law is still in India and has about one week to leave.

What are my options?

My main question is this - will the officer at POE ask her how long she intends to stay in the country? If so, should she say end of october, as per her return ticket or 6 months, which is her visa validity period? Would the POE officer check her return tickets? If she says end of october, will POE officer give only 4 months on the I-94 as against the entire 6 months on the visa. I know that it is entirely POE officers discretion, but what are the chances?

1. I am not leaning towards filing for an extension - reasons -
    a. Its just for one more extra month - doesnt justify filing fees?
    b. It takes atleast 90 days from what I'v heard and paperwork hassle to boot
    c.if her application gets rejected and she overstays her visa might get voided? why take the risk?

2. Extend her ticket for one more month, if everything goes fine re-book again for October. I think cost of re-booking should still be less than visa extension fees? So she can say end of November at POE rather than end of October? There shouldnt be any trouble coming back earlier than stated.

Appreciate any help/comments on this matter, but need it fast since she has only about a week before she leaves.

Thanks in advance!

She can say exactly the truth, I may stay until October or November, not decided for sure yet.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Thanks, immihelp. I will advise my mom-inlaw to say the same.

However do you know if POE generally asks for return date? Also isnt there any issue if her return ticket is for October end but she says that she might come back only in November? Granted she is not overstaying her visa, but is there a chance POE officer might question her intention of staying back longer than shown on her return ticket ?

Comment

It really varies what they ask at POE and what they do.
        Immihelp Support
        No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

thanks

Thanks for your help!

My mother-in-law had extended her return ticket to November 31st. The POE officer asked her how long she was planning to stay, to which she replied 5 months. He asked for her return ticket, checked the date and admitted her for 6 months.

Additional questions asked were :

POE: who are you staying with?
          MIL : My daughter and son-in-law
          POE: Whats the purpose of your visit?
          MIL: Visit my daughter and son-in-law and sightseeing
          POE: Where do they stay?
          MIL: YYYY X

POE officer was quite pleasant, no hassles.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X