Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One way Ticket for Visitor- B2 Visa

Hi All,

I am planning to bring my parents on tourist Visa. Is it ok to buy one way ticket for the onward journey and buy the return ticket later. Will it make any issues/problems during immigration? Please help me with the same.

Thanks,
    Prashanth

1 way tickets for visitors is never a good idea.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

txh1b is 100% correct. When, we landed in Dallas DFW Airport, on July 03, 2009 the IO asked us about our departure date though he did not ask us to show the tickets. In fact, we have the return tickets booked on January 01, 2010.
      He gave us a saty of 6 months valid till July 02, 2010.

Comment

What is the reasoning behind the one-way ticket? Is it because you are planning on applying for an extension?
        There is no guarantee on what your parents could be asked by the immigration officer for at the point of entry. I know for a fact that friends of my parents were asked to show their return tickets. So could your parents. What would they do in such circumstances?

Comment

Originally posted by ramabalaji View Post
          txh1b is 100% correct. When, we landed in Dallas DFW Airport, on July 03, 2009 the IO asked us about our departure date though he did not ask us to show the tickets. In fact, we have the return tickets booked on January 01, 2010.
          He gave us a saty of 6 months valid till July 02, 2010.
          Something seems wrong with the dates here. Based on this, it does seem like you got a 1 year I-94 for a B2 visit at POE. Is that correct?

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Sorry for the typo error. It is 2nd January 2010. Thanks for pointinng out.

Comment

My parents will be travelling with one of my friends who will be travelling to the U.S by this month end. My parents need someone to accompany them during travel. So, I was thinking that it will be good to buy oneway tickets as I can plan their return journey based on someone's (any of my friends) itenarary who will be travelling to India during Oct-Nov-2009.
              Last edited by kkprashanth81; 07-07-2009, 01:49 PM.

Comment

If the issues with your parents are health-related then arrange for them to have wheel chairs and they will be taken care of by the stewardesses/airline staff.

If their issue is with language then book them on Air India or Jet. They will find people to help them.

If it is just lack of confidence tell them to carefully observe and understand the process on their way to the US with your friend. Ask your friend to explain everything every step of the way to your parents.

Also print out and send them all the details from:

This explains everything that happens before/during/after their flight and there are lots of helpful tips for first time travelers.

But do book return tickets so they avoid getting into trouble at the point of entry.
                Last edited by smohanty; 07-07-2009, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Hi,
                  Thanks a lot for your advice. I will book two way tickets.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X