Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long a visitor can stay out of India

Hi All,

My mother is a citizen of India. She has 10 year visa for USA. Can I call her in USA for 6 months and then send her to UK where I have relatives. After staying for 2-3 months in UK, she can come to USA again.

Is there any restriction on how many days an Indian can stay out of India if he/she is not an NRI.

Thanks for your inputs

There is no restriction. But if she tries to spend too much of her time in US, immigration officer at port of entry may think she is trying to stay here permanently and can deny entry.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

laborsubs,

I am trying to do that for my widower father who is alone in India. Mother passed away just 2 weeks ago. Father had got 10-year visa when my mother was alive. I am the only child.

He will be coming this month. This is his third visit. First time in 1999 for 4 months. Second time in 2002-2003 for 1 year with valid extension.

Will let you know how it goes at port of entry.

If anyone else in this board has already had similar experiences, please post them.

immifive.

Comment

How long a visitor can stay out of India

Thanks immihelp and immifive,

Your inputs are quite valuable. But there is another angle to this problem. I heard that according to the rules in India, you cannot live outside india for more than 6 months in a year if you go on a visitor visa. An NRI who has work visa is allowed to stay outside India for any period but not a visitor. I heard that the airport officials in India will not allow you to enter India if you stay for more than 6 months out of India and you may lose your Indian citizenship and property right also.

So if my mother stays 6 months in US and 3-4 months in UK and then she goes back to India, there may be problem for her because she has spent 9 months out of India.

Do you agree with this information. Wher can I get more information on this.

Many thanks

Comment

There is no such rule. You can stay out of India as long as you want. As an Indian citizen, you have all the rights of any Indian citizen, no matter how long you are out of India.
          Immihelp Support

Comment

Visting visa

hi again,

Well I am laborsubs wife saying in the U.K. The case we are talking about is my mother in law. Actually it was lot of confusion staying out of India for more than 6 months. Therefore I had a word with the Birmingham U.K Indian High Commission they said if you are staying more than 6 months out of India on a visiting visa we need to inform the nearest Indian High Commission. why is that so??? if you say there is no law. Secondly like this Indians who have 10 years of Canada visa and U.S.A visa and U.K visa they can stay inbetween these countries and will reach India after 2 years or one and a half year. Therefore if u can clarify more about it for our knowledge. Thirdly if all the 3 visas are issued from India and we are travelling once from India and rest of the time from other countries on a visiting visa will the port of entry have objection or not.

Comment

Re: Visting visa

If Indian high commission is saying something, you should follow that.

If you have US visa and come to US, and US lets you in, India should not have any problems. Same goes true for UK, Canada.
              Immihelp Support

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X