Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitor visa - volunteer work

Hello,
    I am visiting my son in the US and want to spend some time volunteering for some organization. I have a visitor visa to the US. I will not be paid for this activity. I believe this will be useful for some other person and also help me spend the time in a resourceful manner. I have a few questions:

1) Can I do this volunteer work on a visitor visa? I will not be paid for it.
    2) Is there a restriction on the number of hrs / week or volunteering hrs per US visit?
    3) Do I need to notify the USCIS or any other organization.

Regards
    Ramani

1. If a majority of people that work for the organization are volunteers. Remember, you are "visiting" US to see places or for tourism.
    2. Again, has to be inline with the purpose of your trip. If you are volunteering for 20 hrs/week, whan are you touring and visiting places?
    3. No. It is better if you stay away from working as it may suggest that you are intending to settle in US.

You can go volunteer at a library or a blood bank for few hours but it should not look like you are working. A volunteer gets to choose the time and day of work and it should be the case.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

I have a B2 visa that was sprecifically issued for a voluntary service with an NGO. For the application I had to prove that the organisation does not make money or receives any state funding (strictly donations for a social cause, tax exempt), and that I would not earn any money. If an employer (a money making, tay paying business) profits from your work, you cannot use the B2 visa. I recommend that you present yourself as a tourist.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X