Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After getting B-2 Visa ...

Hello

I would like to thank people who answered my questions on this forum. My parents got B-2 visa on the first attempt.

I had a question: The actual return date would be fixed only by the immigration officer at the port of entry on arrival to US on I-94. If I book two-way air-ticket, should I book it for 10 days less of 6 months? Would this suffice? I don't want to land in a situation when I book a 2-way return ticket and their stay on I-94 is less and then I would have to pay the airline to change the return date. I guess all airlines charge like INR 5000 for any change made to return date.

Is booking return ticket after (6 months - 10 days) fine to be on the safer side?

Thanks!

You can book 6 months or 5 months 20 days. It is really up to you, depending upon how long the person is going to stay.

It does not really matter.

I don't see how this would affect the I-94 date.

However, you must book the return ticket. No exceptions.

The possiblilty of you having to pay extra fee to airline in any possible case should be counted as part of the entire trip already.

Same way, you should count the cost of visitors insurance also part of the trip, available at https://www.insubuy.com
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Thank you Immihelp for your prompt response.

It is not entirely up to me to decide how long my parents can stay in US in one trip. It is up to the immigration officer to put the return date on their entry in to the US on their I-94. Is my understanding wrong?

Now from what I have gathered on the net, if one enters the US say today (01/15) the immigration officer puts a return date of (07/14). Is this correct? Are there instances in which the I. officer puts a return date of 3 or 4 months instead of complete 6 months.

People whose parents have already traveled with them on B-2 visa can guide as to what return dates were put by the I. officer and how did they manage to do return booking in advance. I just can't book a return ticket for a date 6 months later as my parents should depart the US at least a day or two earlier than the return date on their I-94.

Thanks!

Comment

1. You are right.

A. Correct.
        B. Yes.

3. No matter what date you book, there is always a possibility that they get I-94 for shorter duration than the return date and you will have to pay to change the airtickets. They don't care about your penalty for changing the airtickets.
        Immihelp Support
        No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Thank you Immihelp!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X