Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitor Visa Query

Hi,

I am on a H1-B Visa and I have sponsored my parents visit to the US. My H1-B expires in Aug and my employer will file an extension soon. Will my parents be able to stay in US only till Aug or they can stay beyond that ? Will my visa expiry be an issue during their port of entry ?

They can stay until their I94 expires.
    No, your visa status should not effect the duration of their I94.
    Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

I am a newcomer to this forum and need some advise on a rather unorthodox situation which I have not heard of or faced before.

I am based in Pakistan and yesterday my 14 years old son appeared for a B1/B2 visa interview at the USCG in Karachi. Since my son is a minor, my wife who also holds a B1/B2 visa issued to her last year accompanied our son as her attendant.

The interview according to my wife evidently went well and the consular officer conducted the interview in a cordial and amenable manner. Things got a little bit hairy when the consular shifted his focus from my son and on to wife and started questioning her on the circumstances of one her previous visits to the States back in 1998. I wish to add here that until 1999 I was a US green card holder but unfortunately got deported due to a criminal conviction the same year, I have lived in Pakistan since then and have never attempted to go back to USA. I met my wife in Atlanta through a mutual acquaintance, one thing led to another and we got married. I filed for her change of status and concurrently had her stay on the visit visa extended by an additional 6 months.

Upon deportation to Pakistan, my wife followed me back and we have lived here happily since then. Last year when my wife applied for her B1/B2 visa, she stated all of the above facts in her application and faced an intense line of questioning from the visa officer who interviewed her. He was satisfied with her answers and the visa was duly granted.

Upon completion of the interview yesterday of my son, the consular tool away the passport of my son as well as my wife and handed her the 221(g) slip. Why she carried her passport with her or even admit to the officer that she had her passport on her person is debatable.

The aforesaid query should be self explanatory by now and my wife is extremely agitated and anxious as to why her passport was taken away and if this could jeopardize her valid visa

Comment

Originally posted by Adnan Siddiqi View Post
        I am a newcomer to this forum and need some advise on a rather unorthodox situation which I have not heard of or faced before.

I am based in Pakistan and yesterday my 14 years old son appeared for a B1/B2 visa interview at the USCG in Karachi. Since my son is a minor, my wife who also holds a B1/B2 visa issued to her last year accompanied our son as her attendant.

The interview according to my wife evidently went well and the consular officer conducted the interview in a cordial and amenable manner. Things got a little bit hairy when the consular shifted his focus from my son and on to wife and started questioning her on the circumstances of one her previous visits to the States back in 1998. I wish to add here that until 1999 I was a US green card holder but unfortunately got deported due to a criminal conviction the same year, I have lived in Pakistan since then and have never attempted to go back to USA. I met my wife in Atlanta through a mutual acquaintance, one thing led to another and we got married. I filed for her change of status and concurrently had her stay on the visit visa extended by an additional 6 months.

Upon deportation to Pakistan, my wife followed me back and we have lived here happily since then. Last year when my wife applied for her B1/B2 visa, she stated all of the above facts in her application and faced an intense line of questioning from the visa officer who interviewed her. He was satisfied with her answers and the visa was duly granted.

Upon completion of the interview yesterday of my son, the consular tool away the passport of my son as well as my wife and handed her the 221(g) slip. Why she carried her passport with her or even admit to the officer that she had her passport on her person is debatable.

The aforesaid query should be self explanatory by now and my wife is extremely agitated and anxious as to why her passport was taken away and if this could jeopardize her valid visa
        It could. So long as they have her passport, they can cancel it. However, consider this: they can cancel the visa in their system without her passport. I don't understand why so many people think taking a photocopy prevents their visa from being canceled.

There's nothing unexpected here though. With this background, you can pretty much expect some additional processing. I would suggest not worrying at this point. This seems like a normal course of action. It can go both ways. Just wait and see. Worrying won't help, eh?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X