Indian Passport Renewal while In US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Passport Renewal while In US

Hello, My parents are here in US visiting us on Visitor Visa. Been 2 weeks and while checking the duration of I94 online - we realized that my fathers Indian passport is expiring in October 2019 while the I 94 duration is till January 2020. I want to make sure that there is no kind or any paperwork problems therefore, wanted to get my fathers passport renewed as early possible.

Few Questions I had:

1. Is it possible to get the Indian Passport renewed in US while on visitor visa ?
    2. If not, then I will need to arrange the airline tickets and all at the earliest - so correct guidance is appreciated.
    3. On what grounds can I apply for renewal of Indian passport for my elderly father ? Any thoughts

4. Doing so, will that create any complications for them when they leave on the decided earlier dates from US or while entering India ?

Sincerly

CBP is supposed to put the date on the I-94 they get at entry at no later than the passport expiration date, so the officer must have made a mistake. In any case, if they are admitted until January on their I-94, they can stay until then.

I have heard some people say that the Indian consulates will not renew Indian passports in the US for people in B2 status. But even if he can't get a passport, he can instead get an "Emergency Certificate" which is a passport-like booklet that can be used in lieu of a passport to travel back to India.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

The airline staff will not allow you to to board the plane. Perhaps you would have to ask the embassy for a temporary travel document. That could get you back to India. But then you are definitely going to have problems when traveling back to the US. It would be best to delay your trip until you have a new passport. If you are facing serious problems you can try speaking to the embassy.

Comment

Originally posted by visithelp123 View Post
        1. Is it possible to get the Indian Passport renewed in US while on visitor visa ?
        It is possible to get passport renewed in USA, not sure about visitor visa. Give a quick call to nearby Indian embassy & check. Or if possible, visit there in person.
        2. If not, then I will need to arrange the airline tickets and all at the earliest - so correct guidance is appreciated.
        Yes.
        3. On what grounds can I apply for renewal of Indian passport for my elderly father ? Any thoughts
        No ground needed, just visit the embassy or ckgs site, submit all documents - you'll get new passport in 1-2 week.
        4. Doing so, will that create any complications for them when they leave on the decided earlier dates from US or while entering India ?
        No issues at all.
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Originally posted by martinezhollyc View Post
          But then you are definitely going to have problems when traveling back to the US.
          Why would they have problems traveling back to the US if they leave before the date they were admitted to on their I-94?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Hi All.

I stay in US along with by H4 dependednts .
            I have a situation where My H4 dependent Indian Passport is getting expired this month in 15 days and due to COVID i am unable to apply from CKGS aswell.
            My H1B status is all approved and my H4 dependent status is in Progress.

My Question is ,
            1) After 15 days(Passport expired) can the H4 dependent still stay in USA and wait for CKGS to become operational so that to apply for Passport reissue?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X