DS160 form related questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS160 form related questions

My Parents are applying for the US Tourist B2 visa so they can visit me. So they are filing the online DS160 form. So I have a few questions related to it. Pardon my ignorance with respect to some of these questions .

(1) On page 2 of of DS160, it asks them for ther National Identification Number. So what should my parents enter here . Should they enter their PAN numbers ?

(2) On another page it asks about "Person or entity paying for the trip" : Since I am inviting my parents over to the US, I am paying for their trip. But is it better for them to choose the option "SELF" or "OTHER PERSON" ? Will choosing "OTHER PERSON" reduce their chances of getting a visa and instead if they chose "SELF" then it would reiterate that they are financially strong in India and so would choosing 'SELF' even though I am paying for their trip, improve their chances of getting visa ?

(3) My dad and mom will both be traveling together to US. The DS160 for each of them asks if another person is travelling with you. So just wanted to confirm if on my dad's DS160 application he should mention my mom's name and vice-versa, on my mom's ds160 form should she mention my dad's name . Is that correct ?

(4) In the section where it asks for previous VISA information, there is question which reads "have you been ten-printed". Can you please let me know what ten-printed means ? The last time their US visa was applied and issued was in early 2007 or late 2006.

(5) On one of the pages it asks for their passport travel document number and passport book number. My parents have the regular Indian passport book. Do they have to enter the same number in both the passport book number and passport travel document number text boxes because there is No "not applicable" checkbox for the passport travel document number text box ?

(6) In the point of contact field in US section, the drop down box does not have CHILD/SON option. Since my parents are applying for the visa should they choose "Relative" or "Other" from the drop down box since there is no SON/CHILD option to choose from ?

(7) In the previous education section, should my father enter only his Bachelor's degree education details or in addition to that, should he also enter his Pre-University and High school education details ?

Appreciate your clarification in this regard.

thanks

Originally posted by waavman View Post
    (1) On page 2 of of DS160, it asks them for ther National Identification Number. So what should my parents enter here . Should they enter their PAN numbers ?
    Put N/A or Aadhar card number (for Indians)
    (2) On another page it asks about "Person or entity paying for the trip" : Since I am inviting my parents over to the US, I am paying for their trip. But is it better for them to choose the option "SELF" or "OTHER PERSON" ? Will choosing "OTHER PERSON" reduce their chances of getting a visa and instead if they chose "SELF" then it would reiterate that they are financially strong in India and so would choosing 'SELF' even though I am paying for their trip, improve their chances of getting visa ?
    Let me put it this way. Putting "other person" won't reduce chances of visa, but "self" will increase chances a lot. It says that they are well to do in their home country.
    (3) My dad and mom will both be traveling together to US. The DS160 for each of them asks if another person is travelling with you. So just wanted to confirm if on my dad's DS160 application he should mention my mom's name and vice-versa, on my mom's ds160 form should she mention my dad's name . Is that correct ?
    Yes, mention each other's name in the form.
    (4) In the section where it asks for previous VISA information, there is question which reads "have you been ten-printed". Can you please let me know what ten-printed means ? The last time their US visa was applied and issued was in early 2007 or late 2006.
    Ten-printed means finger printing. mention "No" for that.
    (5) On one of the pages it asks for their passport travel document number and passport book number. My parents have the regular Indian passport book. Do they have to enter the same number in both the passport book number and passport travel document number text boxes because there is No "not applicable" checkbox for the passport travel document number text box ?
    Just enter passport number in "passport travel document number" & skip book number or put "N/A".
    (6) In the point of contact field in US section, the drop down box does not have CHILD/SON option. Since my parents are applying for the visa should they choose "Relative" or "Other" from the drop down box since there is no SON/CHILD option to choose from ?
    Yes, select "Relative"
    (7) In the previous education section, should my father enter only his Bachelor's degree education details or in addition to that, should he also enter his Pre-University and High school education details ?
    Better to provide details starting from 10th grade, till highest education.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Thanks Libra for answering every question

Comment

Hi,

Regarding my earlier question 2 about "Person or entity paying for trip", I would like to mention that my father retired 15 years ago. My mother was always a homemaker. They have their own house in Bangalore and live there. My dad does get his pension and my brother who lives in Dubai and myself in the US also support them as well.
        (1) So would it be wise for them to say they are self sponsoring the trip or is it better for them to mention that their son (myself) in US is paying for the trip ?
        (2) If they say they are self sponsoring the trip, how much minimum bank balance should they show in their Indian bank account ? Since my father has retired there is no monthly income that he can show ?
        (3) If they say I am sponsoring the trip how much minimum bank balance should I show in my US accounts ?
        (4) In which of the above 2 options (self sponsored or son sponsoring) would there be a stronger need for my parents to demonstrate their ties to India ?
        (5) Since both their sons live outside India (Dubai and US), would just showing proof that they own a home in Bangalore be good enough to demonstrate their ties to India or do they need to show something else ?

Kindly appreciate your clarification in this regard.

thanks

Comment

(1) So would it be wise for them to say they are self sponsoring the trip or is it better for them to mention that their son (myself) in US is paying for the trip ?
          Its always better to have them self-sponsor. They can mention that they will be staying with their son in USA (so no lodging expenses).
          (2) If they say they are self sponsoring the trip, how much minimum bank balance should they show in their Indian bank account ? Since my father has retired there is no monthly income that he can show ?
          Bank balance equal to double the cost of their flight is good enough for parents.
          (3) If they say I am sponsoring the trip how much minimum bank balance should I show in my US accounts ?
          For parents staying with you $1000 per person, per month is good enough.
          (4) In which of the above 2 options (self sponsored or son sponsoring) would there be a stronger need for my parents to demonstrate their ties to India ?
          Self sponsoring is good, because it proves that they are well to do in their home country.
          (5) Since both their sons live outside India (Dubai and US), would just showing proof that they own a home in Bangalore be good enough to demonstrate their ties to India or do they need to show something else ?
          Well, mostly the VO will ask about your all of their childs (your brother) & if he is living in India. Since both of you are living outside India, it will be hard for your parents to prove that they have ties to India.
          - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X