Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian visitor to US, possible overstay in US due to COVID-19 travel restriction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian visitor to US, possible overstay in US due to COVID-19 travel restriction

Hello all,

My mother is visiting us from Canada and was planning to fly back on May, but given the current situation of COVID-19 with travel restriction on both countries (US and Canada). We might have to extend her stay in the US, and wait for the travel restriction is lifted.

She enters the US using her valid Canadian passport, so no need to get a US visa to enter. Do I need to apply to anything in the US to extend her stay? I believe as a Canadian, she can only stay 6-months consecutively in the US, and would need to leave the US after 6-months mark, is that true?

Thanks,
    Last edited by xbeta; 04-14-2020, 02:36 PM.

There is no restriction on Canadian citizens returning to Canada, though it may be harder to find flights.

She would need to file I-539 for extension of status before her status expires if she wants to continue to stay after her I-94 expiration.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      There is no restriction on Canadian citizens returning to Canada, though it may be harder to find flights.

She would need to file I-539 for extension of status before her status expires if she wants to continue to stay after her I-94 expiration.
      Great, thanks, will love to file for I-539. Can this be done online? Where can I start this process?

Comment

Looks like it's not a low cost process for I-539 which cost more than her flight ticket

We will automatically calculate the cost for you when you submit your application.

The application fee is $370. An additional biometrics services fee of $85 is required for you and for each person included on a Form I-539A.

Learn more about filing a fee waiver.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X