Visa Extension and Visitor Visa Related Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa Extension and Visitor Visa Related Questions

My wife’s cousin is currently visiting USA from South America on a visitor visa. She has been here several times before for short vacations and has always left on time. I am aware that a person can stay up to 6 months on a visitor’s visa.
    • She told the officers at the immigration window during arrival that she was going to leave in 2 months but her 2nd dose of the Covid vaccine is scheduled for a date which is closer to 3 months from arrival. If she stays for 3 months will that be a problem for future visits?
    • If she stays up to 5 months, after stating that she is leaving in 2 months, and wants to return on a J1 visa would it cause problems in obtaining a J1 visa?
    • Can she leave now and return after 3 months and stay another 3 months on a visitor visa?
    • If she asks for an extension close to the 6 month time frame, and stays here until they give her a response, will that be a problem when she needs to renew her US visa in 2024?
    Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi,
    Please see my response below..
    She told the officers at the immigration window during arrival that she was going to leave in 2 months but her 2nd dose of the Covid vaccine is scheduled for a date which is closer to 3 months from arrival. If she stays for 3 months will that be a problem for future visits?
    Answer: You have not mentioned that, what is the duration she got approved on I-94. If she is staying in USA within I-94 validity, there will not have any issues.. Otherwise, Staying beyond I-94 validity will make issue.. In this situation, you can apply extend the period of stay with USCIS.
    If she stays up to 5 months, after stating that she is leaving in 2 months, and wants to return on a J1 visa would it cause problems in obtaining a J1 visa?
    Answer: As i mentioned above, within I-94 validity will not have any problem.. If she stays beyond I-94 validity will make issue on future visa..
    Can she leave now and return after 3 months and stay another 3 months on a visitor visa?
    Answer: Yes.. Thats best idea.. But she needs to have proper reason to travel back.
    If she asks for an extension close to the 6 month time frame, and stays here until they give her a response, will that be a problem when she needs to renew her US visa in 2024?
    Answer: No. as long as you file the petition on extend of stay will not make any issues in future. But please make sure to file the petition before I-94 expires..
    Thanks

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X