Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B1/B2 Visa cancelled without prejudice. How do I find the reason?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1/B2 Visa cancelled without prejudice. How do I find the reason?

My father applied for a US B1/B2 visa renewal. This application was rejected. Furthermore, he had a valid B1/B2 visa (valid till Oct 2022) which has now been stamped "Cancelled Without Prejudice". Is there any way of finding out exactly why it was rejected and the valid visa cancelled? There was no paper in the return package and since he was eligible for a visa interview waiver, there was no interview with any officer, so we have no way of knowing what went wrong.

Is there any enquiry I can make before reapplying?

only your father (the former visa holder/applicant) could get that info....my guess is he had too many prolonged visits, giving the CO the impression that he is living (and possibly working) in the US.

Comment

only your father (the former visa holder/applicant) could get that info
      I understand that. But what I am asking is that is there any enquiry form that we can submit or is the only option to email the consulate? He had a visa interview waiver, so there was no interview and no conversation with any VO either to give us a hint as to what may be an issue. I thought visa refusals were accompanied by a refusal letter that highlighted the reasons.

my guess is he had too many prolonged visits, giving the CO the impression that he is living (and possibly working) in the US.
      He had 5-6 visits over the last 5 years but none were too long (1-2 weeks at most). So, I really have no idea. I am reading online that visa cancellation w/o prejudice is usually due to administrative issues that can be remedied during reapplication.

One thing to add would be, his application was in AP for a month, we sent an email to ask for the passport back on Nov 12. The DS-160 status changed from AP to Refused on Nov 15. Not sure if there is a connection here but we never heard back from the consulate.

Comment

Hi Member,

I understand that. But what I am asking is that is there any enquiry form that we can submit or is the only option to email the consulate? He had a visa interview waiver, so there was no interview and no conversation with any VO either to give us a hint as to what may be an issue. I thought visa refusals were accompanied by a refusal letter that highlighted the reasons.

Answer: I dont think, you can request consulate for reason of denial or cancellation. When they do these things they will just give the notice which contains only common reason not specific.

He had 5-6 visits over the last 5 years but none were too long (1-2 weeks at most). So, I really have no idea. I am reading online that visa cancellation w/o prejudice is usually due to administrative issues that can be remedied during reapplication.

Answer: Yes. the denial is only on the particular visa application. You can reapply the same visa any time in future.

One thing to add would be, his application was in AP for a month, we sent an email to ask for the passport back on Nov 12. The DS-160 status changed from AP to Refused on Nov 15. Not sure if there is a connection here but we never heard back from the consulate.

Answer: This is actual visa application adjudication process. Visa application will be with below stage of adjudication.
        Received-- Administrative Processing--- Issued/ Refused
        So I dont think, these might be the reason. Just check, If B Applicant had a police records or any other.
        Thanks
        Last edited by rkk09; 11-20-2021, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Hi,I called the National Visa Center to ask about the status. Note that I only got my passport with no other paper or notice of refusal.

Turns out the application is still in Administrative Processing. Apparently from March 2020, the visa status can still show as "Refused", even when in Administrative Processing until the visa is approved. The message I had after Refused was:

"A U.S. consular officer has adjudicated and refused your visa application. Please follow any instructions provided by the consular officer. If you were informed by the consular officer that your case was refused for administrative processing, your case will remain refused while undergoing such processing. You will receive another adjudication once such processing is complete. Please be advised that the processing time varies and that you will be contacted if additional information is needed. For more information, please visit TRAVEL.STATE.GOV or the website for the Embassy or Consulate at which you made your visa application.
          For more information, please visit U.S. Consulate General Toronto."
          Usually (not always), if it is an actual refusal, the message is usually shorter with 1-2 lines

Though I didn't explicitly ask about the Visa cancellation without prejudice, I am guessing, they cancel valid visas while the renewal is still in processing. The NVC said that we will get an email once the Administrative Processing is complete for passport resubmission if it eventually gets approved.

We are 5 weeks into Administrative Processing now, so I guess we keep waiting for now.

Comment

a bit unfortunate but it does not sound like any sort of permanent cancellation, but rather a security choice while his case is in AP, probably for someone with a similar name or something

Comment

Hi Skbrhmn,

Could you share the status of your father's application now? I have the same issue now that my status has been Administrative Processing since Nov 17, 2021. Did you submit the passport to US Consulate in Toronto? I am thinking to write them an email, however, I am not sure if I should now. I plan to travel to the State during the New Year but it seems not possible now due to the visa renewal issue.

I had a one-year visitor visa in July 2019, but unfortunately I didnt make the trip at that time cause I had to send my passport for my PR application in Canada (at the same time that I planned for US trip). So I canceled my US trip, and then later on Covid hit so that visa wasn't used until expired. I am not sure if that is the reason why they keep checking now....

Sorry of very long message. Did your father get any response till now?

Thank you very much!

Comment

Hi Skbrhmn,

Could you share the status of your father's application now? I have the same issue now that my status has been Administrative Processing since Nov 17, 2021. Did you submit the passport to US Consulate in Toronto? I am thinking to write them an email, however, I am not sure if I should now. I plan to travel to the State during the New Year but it seems not possible now due to the visa renewal issue.

I had a one-year visitor visa in July 2019, but unfortunately I didnt make the trip at that time cause I had to send my passport for my PR application in Canada (at the same time that I planned for US trip). So I canceled my US trip, and then later on Covid hit so that visa wasn't used until expired. I am not sure if that is the reason why they keep checking now....

Thank you very much!

Thank you very much!

Comment

Hi nothingtt28 ,

Yes, we submitted the passport to US consulate in Toronto and he got put in AP on Oct 15. We asked for the passport back on Nov 15 because he needed to travel. The application is still in administrative processing. The visa centre said that they will email us if there is any update. Since it has been over 60 days since he got put in AP first, I am thinking of writing them an email to ask.

Will post here if there is any new update.

Comment

Originally posted by skbrhmn View Post
                    Hi nothingtt28 ,

Yes, we submitted the passport to US consulate in Toronto and he got put in AP on Oct 15. We asked for the passport back on Nov 15 because he needed to travel. The application is still in administrative processing. The visa centre said that they will email us if there is any update. Since it has been over 60 days since he got put in AP first, I am thinking of writing them an email to ask.

Will post here if there is any new update.
                    Oh thank you! So my case is exactly the same. It have been in AP since Nov 17 so for sure I cant go to US this New Year . I also submitted to US Consulate in Toronto as well.

Comment

Hi,

So just to let you know that my case seems to be released. My status now is "Issued" and they send my passport to the delivery location. I hope it meant "Approved".

Best,

Comment

Yeah, that means approved. Congrats! I am still waiting on an update from them and emailing the consulate just returns the auto-reply.

Comment

So we finally got the visa. Overall timeline:

11 Oct 2021: Application delivered
                          12 Oct 2021: Case created
                          15 Oct 2021: Status Updated to Administrative Processing

12 Nov 2021: Asked back for passport for travel via email
                          15 Nov 2021: Received passport where the previous valid visa was marked "Cancelled without prejudice". Status Updated from "Administrative Processing" to "Refused" (longer message indicating AP) [Cofirmed with National Visa Center that the refused status here means implied refusal until AP is complete and doesn't mean that the application has been rejected.]

24 Dec 2021: Emailed consulate asking about status. Only got auto-reply.
                          25 Mar 2022: Emailed consulate asking about status. Only got auto-reply.
                          29 Mar 2022: Received email asking for passport.
                          31 Mar 2022: Passport delivered.

4 April 2022: Status updated from "Refused" to "Administrative Processing"
                          7 April 2022: Case status date updated but status still "Administrative Processing"
                          8 April 2022: Status updated to "Issued"
                          11 April 2022: Passport sent through courier
                          12 April 2022: Passport received with visa

Total duration: ~6 months

Comment

Hello skbrhmn,
                            Congratulations. Thank you for sharing your experiences in such details.
                            Is 6 months normal duration at any consulate for B2 approval ?
                            Not sure if it differs from consulate to consulate. If it does , whats the typical duration at Mumbai consulate?
                            Regards

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                            X