Continue to Stay in US on B1/B2 after I-20 expires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continue to Stay in US on B1/B2 after I-20 expires

I entered US on F-1 but also have a valid B1/B2 visa, because i've to attend a course. My course will end on 07/15 which means my I-20 will expire 60 days from there. I'm looking to stay beyond 60 days and wondering if i can continue to live in US as i still have valid B1/B2 or do i need to request some type of change of status or have to leave the country and renter on B1/B2?

Originally posted by malik_ammar View Post
    I entered US on F-1 but also have a valid B1/B2 visa, because i've to attend a course. My course will end on 07/15 which means my I-20 will expire 60 days from there. I'm looking to stay beyond 60 days and wondering if i can continue to live in US as i still have valid B1/B2 or do i need to request some type of change of status or have to leave the country and renter on B1/B2?
    Yes, before your current I94 expires you need to file Form I539 to change your status from F1 to B1/B2 and once approved you'll get new I94.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Hi Libra,

Thanks for the prompt response. That seems to be a bit pricy and not sure why we need to request status change when i already have the B1/B2 visa.

Click image for larger version

Name:	COS.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	785659
      Then it looks like its easier to go to mexico and come back on B1/B2 that would be the cheaper option.

Looking if someone else has an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by malik_ammar View Post
        Thanks for the prompt response. That seems to be a bit pricy and not sure why we need to request status change when i already have the B1/B2 visa.
        Then it looks like its easier to go to mexico and come back on B1/B2 that would be the cheaper option.
        Holding a visa doesn't give you status. If you are admitted into USA on F1 status, you need to either move out of USA or file COS to change your status. Driving to Mexico/Canada can be a good option, if that is near by to you.
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X