Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apply for a B2 while on ESTA or vice versa

Hello everyone,
    I would like to travel to the United States while visiting friends for a period of 6 months. Theoretically, I would need a B2 visa. However, the processing time is too long (520 days in France) and I want to go asap.

So, I was wondering if I could come to the USA with an ESTA while applying for a B2 visa, in case an appointment becomes available (Of course, I will come back to France for the appointment).

In short, is it possible to apply for a B2 visa while already having an ESTA? Or conversely, apply for ESTA when you have a B2 pending? In which order should I do it: B2, or ESTA first?

If the B2 is refused, would this invalidate my ESTA visa?

Another possibility, can I come to the United States with an ESTA, stay 3 months, leave the country and come back later. How long do I need to stay outside the US before returning with an ESTA?
    I already know that going to Mexico or Canada would not renew my 90 days.

Thank you for your help,

Best regards,
    Cass

Originally posted by CassLav View Post
    So, I was wondering if I could come to the USA with an ESTA while applying for a B2 visa, in case an appointment becomes available (Of course, I will come back to France for the appointment).
    Sure

In short, is it possible to apply for a B2 visa while already having an ESTA? Or conversely, apply for ESTA when you have a B2 pending? In which order should I do it: B2, or ESTA first?
    Sure. I don't think the order matters.

If the B2 is refused, would this invalidate my ESTA visa?
    I believe that if the answer changes to any of the questions on the ESTA questionnaire (e.g. a question about whether you have been denied a visa), you would have to apply for an ESTA again.

Another possibility, can I come to the United States with an ESTA, stay 3 months, leave the country and come back later. How long do I need to stay outside the US before returning with an ESTA?
    I already know that going to Mexico or Canada would not renew my 90 days.
    Yes. There is no rule on how long you have to be outside the US. Of course there might be an increased change the officer will deny you entry if it looks like you are in the US a lot.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X