Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on filing I-134

Hi,

First, thanks for your kind attention to this thread.

I am a U.S. Citizen.
    I want to invite my mother, sister and sister's daughter to USA. This is the first time I am going to invite anyone.

I am a Software Engineer by profession and had good employment history. I read through the requirements for getting B2 visa on this web site.

I have a peculiar situation.

The web site and also for I-134, expects that:

- I am employed
    - send my pay stubs
    - send employment letter from my employer.

The fact is that I was a contractor and my contract assignment ended on December 8th 2010 and since then I am off the project. After my project ended, I had filed for un-employment benefit and now my 2010 tax return (I have prepared but not filed) shows that I have earned $570.00 in unemployment benefit.

I do have sufficient funds to support the travel / stay expenses for the people I want to sponsor. But I can't provide current pay stubs or letter from employer. My relatives plan to go for Visa interview sometime in late March or early April 2011.

Can someone guide me on:

a) what should I fill in form I-134 at item # 7?

b) how should I meet the requirement of pay stub / letter from employer?

c) Since I am availing unemployment benefit, can it affect in the processing / visa issuance for my relatives - specially due to the fact that I received one unemployment payment in 2010 and it is showing on my I.Tax return?

d) Wait till I get a job, and then ask my relatives to apply for B2 Visa?

e) Or Should I ask my relatives to *not* use my sponsorship, and give proof of them having self fund the trip?

Thanks,

If they can show that they can take care of the expenses themselves, you don't need to sponsor them.

Otherwise, it is difficult to sponsor being unemployed.

When you say are a contractor, are you self-employed or are you an employee of some company that sends you on contract to different companies?
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Thanks for answering the question.

What I meant by Contractor is that I am an employee of some company, who sends me to work on client site. But since the assignment at client site ended, my employment with the company also ended. Basically, the intermediate company keeps me on W-2 for the period, I work at client site and pays me on W-2 (instead of 1099), for the hours I work.

Comment

One more follow up point:

Given my case situation, do you think my relatives should carry:

- only their documents to prove that they can support themselves

OR

- both - their documents as well as mine (even though I am un-employmed, but still I can send my bank statements + I-134) - If you think that can make the case any stronger

?

Thanks,

Ajay

Comment

If they can show that they can take of it themselves, that is always the best. Otherwise, whatever help others can provide would help.
          Immihelp Support

Comment

I have a follow up question. Please see the thread for full context.

Now I got a contract job in USA. I will be working and the company will pay me for the hours worked and at the end give me a 1099.

Plus, I am also going to India next month and will be there when my family members go to US embassy for B2 visa interview.

My question is,

- what should I fill in I-134 as my job - Contractor?

- As a proof, is signed contract document enough a proof or do I need any additional letter from the company who is putting me on contract?

- Since company is going to pay me by check, I won't have pay slip. What should I use instead of payslip?

Thanks,

Ajay

Comment

1. Yes.
              2. Both.
              3. Tax returns.
              Immihelp Support

Comment

Guidance for getting B2 Visa

Hi there,

First off, Thanks for your timely replies earlier.

Just to restate, I am a US Citizen. Now I have come to India, and filled DS-160 application for my mother, to get her a visitor/tourist visa.

I have lost my father five years ago and I have one brother and sister who are in India.

My first question is, how would I get my interview date - do I have to look at the consulate web site or will they email me?

Second question is that in DS-160, I have mentioned, that I will be supporting my mother. I got letters from Bank, my tax statement, letter from employer etc. etc.

I am planning to go with my mother at the time of interview (hope it will be allowed in chennai). Do you think that me going with my mother would make it a stronger case for getting my mother's visa?

Beside all this, I understand that my mother has to prove the family ties back in India. How can I prove this?

The fact is that my mother is going to come back and have zero plans to stay in USA on long term basis.

Thanks,

Ajay

Comment

continuation...

I found the answer to my first question. I had to deposit the fees in HDFC bank and then pick the interview date.

The other two questions from my previous post still hold good.

As an additional question, since I will be going with my mother, I do understand that I have to file / make DS-134 for her. Do I still have to have an invitation letter for my mother?

thanks,

Ajay

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X