Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• same mother's name and spouse name

Hi,

My dad is applying for B2 visa. In his passport, both mother's name and spouse's name is the same. Spouse's name is typed correctly, but mother's name is wrong. His passport was renewed in 2007, and in his older passport his mother's name was printed correctly. That means there is a discrepancy in his mother's name in the old and new passport.

My questions are:
    1) Is it OK to continue with the wrong mother's name? O is my dad risking his visa approval by not correcting the wrong name?
    2) If correction is recommended, what is the process? How long might it take?

I would appreciate if you could answer my questions.

Thanks,
    Deepika

While applying for visa, he should put the correct name for his mother's name.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Thanks for the response.
      Do you mean that he should enter the right mother's name in DS 160 even if it doesn't match the one in his current passport? Kindly clarify.

Comment

My advice here is that you should first make sure the passport is correct and then it will match your application forms.

Honestly, U.S. immigration wants to deny visas on technicalities like this - so don't give them this chance to say no.

Comment

My problem is that I need my parents to travel ASAP due to personal reasons. We noted the error in the new passport only in the last moment. However, one friend suggested to make an affidavit stating that the wrong mother's name is indeed the right name and coincidentally it happens to be his spouse's name too. In that case, the old passport will still carry a different mother's name. Do they have to carry both old and new passports at the time of interview. Do the Visa officers somehow have the access to both old and new passports in the system?
          I know that this is not the right way to deal with the problem, but due to time constraints I'm considering all possible ways.
          Please advise.

Comment

You can get the new passport with correct name in a matter of few days from the regional passport office. Since your father already has the passport so you apply for name correction under the fast mode service of the passport office. You'll just need to pay some extra amount for the fast service, I guess around Rs1000/- Ask your dad to visit the passport office immediately.

If he goes with different name on the passport, his visa will most likely get rejected/ put on hold. Don't take the chance.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X