Mismatch (Spelling) in Father's Surname between his and my passports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mismatch (Spelling) in Father's Surname between his and my passports

Hi, My father's surname is slightly different between his passport and mine. In his passport, his surname reads "JEGANATHAN" and in mine it reads "JEGANNATHAN".

Will this cause any problem if and when I sponsor for his Visitor Visa to the US?

Regards,
    Deepak

Get an affidavit.

Sample at https://www.immihelp.com/sample-one-...s-immigration/
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

B2 visa approved for parents

Finally, B2 visas approved for parents.

I did not get an affidavit (though it does seem like the correct thing to do!) for the difference in spelling but did adhere to the spelling in father's passport as he was the applicant. I did not sound like a significant aspect to me and the notary was not willing to provide an affidavit (even for Rs.500) as he also did not see enough merit to get one.

However, for my mother, my grandfather's name is listed in all her official documents as her last name but my father's name as the surname only in her passport. She did not officially change her full name, so I did convince the notary to issue the affidavit - declaring the fact that the concept of surname is not common in our tradition, that my mother used my grandfather's name as her last name and used my father's name as surname only when asked. The trcik was to use the difference between last name and surname definitions. "Surname" means a common name to identify members of the same family, hence the need in my mother's situation.

No documents were, however, asked at all.

Anyway, glad their visas have been approved. It is definitely a exhausting process not because of the procedures involved but because of the anxiety at every stage.

Thanks to immihelp discussion forums for the enormous amount of theoretical information and actual knowledge (based on personal experiences) that helped us all throughout the process.

My best wishes for all future sponsors and applicants of visitor/tourist visas.
      Last edited by rdeepakr; 04-08-2012, 08:25 PM. Reason: Added a statement

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X