Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Port of Entry question

Hello,

My father just got a 10yr entry visitor Visa. I am a little concerned about port of entry. I hope he gets 6 month duration stay. Is it a norm or depends on the whims of officer?

Also, what kind of questions do they ask at immigration? My dad speaks no English. What can I do to make things smooth at USA immigration?

Thanks

For a first time visitor the normal questions asked are:
    1. Why do you come to USA?
    2. With whom will you be staying?
    3. How long will you be staying?

Comment

Thanks! But how do we deal with the English part? Without a translator my father won't understand the questions. Can he carry a letter with the expected answers?

Comment

Yes. You can address a letter to the Immigration Officer stating the inability of your father's communication in English and request the IO to grant him a stay of 6 months so that he can spend quality time with you and also can see some interesting places in USA. Also assure him that he will USA before the I 94 date. Ask your father to give your letter to IO at POE.
        Normally,if the IO does not understand the language then he calls the next person in the line to help him.
        This had happened in our case as the lady who was with IO could notcommunicate with the IO; so he called us next in the line and we translated to help her get 6 months stay.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X