US visit visa - extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US visit visa - extension

My parents are currently staying with me in Los Angeles. They arrived here on April 24th on visit visa. This is their second time here.
    Their 6 months of stay ends in October 2011. I have a personal emergency where I need them to stay another 5 months or so past October, meaning I would like them to stay back in LA till March 2012.
    Can anyone educate me on what I can do to "legally" keep them back?
    One option that I was told is that they can go back to India for a short duration and then come back. In their defense, the trip is excruciatingly long and I would rather not have them travel back that far just to come back again.
    Can they go to any neighboring country and come back; will that count that as an extension for another 6 months?
    I am very concerned about the situation. So any advise (whatsoever) would be much appreciated.

Thanks to you all in advance.

Anish

If they have a really genuine reason they can file I-539 to extend their status. It must be received by USCIS before their I-94's expire. They are allowed to stay in the US while it is pending, but if denied their visas are void and illegal stay is counted from I-94 date.
    Leaving and returning may not work as CBP officers are aware of this trick.
    What kind of an emergency do you have?
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X