Questions that need answering!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions that need answering!!

Hi. I'm new here so thought I'd use this space to say hello before i start asking questions.

OK so I'm a full British citizen, born here, British parents and grandparents etc. My girlfriend has just moved to New York after being offered a 12 month internship. In October I plan to visit her until the beginning of January, and then some other short term periods until her internship is over in September 2012. I understood that I could do this on the Visa Waiver Program.

But it turns out that because, during University, I was arrested but not convicted of any crime (for being drunk), I am exempt from the Visa Waiver Program. Is this correct? And if so, what do I now need to do?

Also if I were to find a job while I was in the US so I could stay the whole time she's there, how would I go about getting a Visa for this?

Thanks for any help, Luke

Indeed, if you have a criminal record, you become ineligible for the VWP and will need to apply for a visa. As I'm not a lawyer, I have no clue if in the UK, being arrested for being intoxicated generates such a record.

Your second question is more complicated to answer - you CANNOT change your status from VWP (if you were finally to fit in the category) visitor to a work visa - which is what you will need. And there are multiple types of work visas - L1, H1, etc. Your question is too generic.

But generally speaking - what you will NOT be able to do is come to the US as a visitor, find a job at a McDonalds, and stay flipping burgers while your gf finishes her internship.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X