Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parent's visitor visa experience (including interview Q&A)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parent's visitor visa experience (including interview Q&A)

As was promised by me in an earlier post last week, here are the details of my parent's recent visitor visa experience (including interview Q&A) at Delhi consulate.

Time of appointment was between 2:00 - 2.15 PM. They arrived at 1 PM. They had to stand in a queue outside embassy gate to deposit their docs at a counter which was also outside the gate. Their turn to deposit the docs came around 2 PM. Though the instructions say that do not arrive more than 15 minutes early from appointment time, they felt that one must get into the queue at least one hour before to make an entry at the appointed time.

Only following docs were being accepted at the counter:
    1. DS156, DS157 (both compulsory) & DS158 (if applicable; not applicable for them).
    2. Passports.
    3. DDs for Rs. 4400/- & Rs. 2200/-
    4. Photo, which they had pasted on DS156.
    Appointment letter was also shown at this counter. The remaining docs taken by them were neither asked for nor there seemed to be a provision for accepting the same at a counter. They were not sure if the procedure at the embassy has changed recently.

The counter clerk after a brief checking fed some of the data into a computer including scanning the photo. Thereafter she returned all the documents except the DD for Rs. 4400/- for which she gave a receipt in duplicate stapled to DS156. She also returned the DD of Rs. 2200/- after pinning the same on the passport.

They then went inside the gate & immediately had to undergo security check. Thereafter fingerprints were taken at a counter inside. Then DD for Rs. 441/- had to be deposited at TT services counter after which they stood in a queue for the interview. Actually they never realized that they were standing in the interview queue but all the time thought that it was the queue for depositing rest of the docs!

Once inside the hall, hardly 20 minutes were taken but they felt things could definitely have been organized in a more professional way with proper sign posting to inform visitors what to do next.

At the interview counter, the same set of docs (as earlier) were taken from then & one copy of receipt for Rs. 4400/- was also taken. They felt that maybe they should have submitted rest of the required docs there without being asked but before they could understand anything, questions started getting shot at them.

Here is the gist of the interview session (conducted by an American lady). The questions were not directed specifically at either my father or mother, but were mostly answered by my father. My mother chipped in occasionally.

Q1. Why do you want to visit USA?
    A1. For tourism purpose & to meet our son.

Q2. How many sons do you have?
    A2. Two. One is working in USA & the other is in Delhi with XYZ Company.

Q3. With which company is your son working in USA?
    A3. Name of my company.

Q4. For how much period do you want to visit USA?
    A4. Six months.

Q5. Why six months?
    A5. Because USA is such a big country & it will take that much time to visit various places. Moreover at our age we cannot do things in a hurry.

Q6. Have you been to any other country before?
    A6. I have been to OtherCountryName once in 2001-02 & she has been twice in 2000 & 2001-02.

Q7. What do you do?
    A7. I am a retired PlaceFromWhereRetired officer & also work with CurrentOrganization organization.

Q8. What is this organization?
    A8. It is a social & charitable organization which provides health care to the needy free of cost.

Q9. Does she also work there?
    A9. Yes.

Q10. Who will look after your assets while you are away?
    A10. My brother.

Q11. How much expense do you think will be incurred on this trip?
    A11. I don't really know as my son will take care of all the expenses.

At this stage the Q&A session ended and the VO said: Ok, I am giving you the visa but don't overstay as it is illegal. Wish you an enjoyable stay in USA. They answered with a "Yes we will not overstay. Thank You."

None of the supporting documents were seen. Not even the I-134. Their passports were retained at the interview counter. DD for Rs. 2200/- was also taken at this counter but no receipt was given for this (not sure if this was OK?). Now they were given two slips bearing some no & asked to go back to TT services counter. There the slips were pasted on an envelope & they were asked to write their address on the same for courier delivery. They were informed that passport will be delivered within a week, though they received their passports by Saturday itself. The visas were for one year multiple entries.

Summary: A successful interview needs lots of preparation (can't emphasize this enough). Think and prepare a list of all possible Qs and decide before hand what should be their appropriate answers. Allow both yourself and your parents (or whomsoever you are sponsoring) sufficient time for preparation before the interview date. I assume almost all of you out there have access to a computer. Prepare a tracking file (e.g. in Excel) and track every little thing in it. This will help you be more organized what with all that volume of paperwork and information flow that comes during preparation. Make sure you are not pressurizing your parents. In the end the key is Preparation, Confidence, Poise, and Quick Thinking (no stumbling for answers), and of course a little dose of help from lady luck!

All the best to those of you still working on the preparation. Hope the above account helps you in your preparation.

Congratulations and thanks for posting detailed experience.

I hope you will stick around and continue to help others on this forum as you have been doing for past some time. Our discussion forum can be helpful if there are several others who are willing to help others.

Also, consider buying visitor medical insurance for them, available for instant purchase at https://www.insubuy.com
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Thanks. I've also posted the above details in the Experiences section at http://www.immihelp.com/experience/r...do?category=29

Comment

Depend's on your current visa

I've been noticing a lot of questions from new members to this forum on visa preperation. Though the documentation part is well described on this site, there are additionally many individual experiences from members like me already posted on this site. I'd suggest all new members to search in the discussions and read such experiences carefully as these will surely be of help. My own experience is already at the beginning of this post.

Good luck to all of you.

Comment

Manish,

What you wrote is very true and makes perfect sense to me. That is how it should be.

However, the fact is that most people don't want to take time to search for specific information on the website. They just post the question whatever they want to ask and expect personal attention. But that's OK.
          Immihelp Support
          No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Hi Manish,
            I read your experience. Great job to post everything is such detail.
            Well my situation is as follows:
            My parents had gone for the interview in Calcutta Consulate. At the counter tehy submitted the DD's & Passports & were asked to submit the Letter of Invitation to parents.

Then at the interviewthey were asked teh following:

Why do u want to go to US?
            Ans: To visit my daughter & to visit some places in US. (But here the problem is On the DS-156 form we just wrote the purpose of visit as Tourisim - not visiting daughter)
            So the visa office cross questioned this part. Then my parents told that it was for both purposes (To meet me and Visit places) So after hearing that the Visa officer made some changes on the DS-156 form

How long would you like to stay?
            6 months

What places will you see in US?
            Some famous tourist spots (And mentioned places like NYC, Florida etc)

Who is going to bear all expenses?
            My daughter & Son-n-law

At this point the visa officer said that you are saying this but nothing is written here in the letter of invitation. And also mentioned that this letter to parents is very generic - everybody is comming up with these kind of letters of today (I dont understand how creative can one be in writing a letter to invite parents and that also when the letter is going to be submitted for official use)
            But the fact is that everything was clearly written in the Letter to parents & also in the Letter to Consulate that we were going to bear all expenses.

Before my father could reply anything or show her anything on the letter - or teh Travel plan which we had already sent - she said that "OK i am putting your application as pending on 221(g), please come back with Fresh letter of invitation & Travel plan" She did not want to hear anything further nor gave them any time for any other explanation. She was too fast.

The interpreter told them that the officer's only concern was that she was not satisfied with the Letter of invitation !!!!!

We have resent a new one with Travle Plan.

1)My question is has anyone faced this type of problem?
            2)Do they generaly grant the visa after getting the new docs?
            3)Is there again a fresh interview session the second time - or they have to just submit the docs and wait for the decision?

It would be great if you could help me on this..
            Thanks
            Ann

Comment

Ann, I will not be able to answer your questions here in a specific manner. Maybe if you post them as a separate topic, you might find people who can answer them. However what I can say is that I've a friend whose mother's visa was rejected precisely on the grounds that the letter of invitation was too generic. You may want to read my related post at http://www.immihelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8372

Good luck!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X