Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type of Visitor Visa and grandparent's surnames missing

Hi,

I have searched this discussion forum and may not have run into a thread with same issues (though similar issues have been addressed many times).

1. While filling DS-160 "Travel Information" to apply for visitor visa for my parents, I selected TEMP. BUSINESS PLEASURE VISITOR. But it also wants me to specify one of these three:

a) BUSINESS/CONFERENCE (B1)
    b) TOURISM/MEDICAL TREATMENT (B2)
    c) BUSINESS/PERSONAL (B1/B2)

I am confused between b) and c). It is beyond me why two very close options would be provided.

2. Both father's and mother's passports do not have surnames for my grandparents (paternal and maternal). While filling up "Family Information", which one of these would be appropriate to do:

a) Use my grandparents' actual surnames even if not listed on my parents' passports
    b) Choose Do Not Know option
    c) Use my grandparent's actual given name as Surname and specify first name as FNU (if this one, is it really necessary as this is for my grandparents)
    d) Is LNU even an option at all? I know US values surnames more than given names, so looks like this is not an option after all.

Thanks for your time and help.

For your first question, I can say go for option 2. All the best.

Comment

Thanks. I picked B2 but a simple google search reveals several people opting for B1/B2. The only reasonable explanation I could find for B1/B2 was if the travel included both business and personal (pleasure) parts. Is that even a correct observation?

Any input on the second question?

Comment

Legal Advice needed

I am currently on OPT and my OPT extension expires on 07/31/2012. I completed my masters from UNVA and I worked on CPT for 10 months. There have been news that lots of OPT extensions are getting denied especially for people who worked on CPT. So I have the following options

a) File for OPT extension (I feel that this is risky)
        b) Apply for H-1B, but what if H1B is rejected for the same reasons because I was working on CPT.
        c) Convert to F-1 again and look for a university which offers full time CPT.

Can anyone let me know there thoughts on this?

Comment

You need to float your own separate thread and not confuse others by posting your question within another thread.

Comment

B2 visa approved

Finally, B2 visas approved for parents. The simple answer to my original questions -

1) Choose option b TOURISM/MEDICAL TREATMENT (B2). B1/B2 visa is for applicants who intend to have both business and personal (tourism/medical) purposes attached to their travel.

2) Choose either a) or b) depending on your situation - given grandparents in South India (especially the statse of Tamilnadu) may have never used surnames, it is okay to say DO NOT KNOW. Even if only their first names are printed in parents' passports, providing their full names (if they have full names) in DS-160 is perfectly okay to back up during the visa interview. Anyway, these do not seem to be significant items in the context of a visitor/tourist visa, so do not spend a lot of time thinking through them.

Thanks to immihelp discussion forums for the enormous amount of theoretical information and actual knowledge (based on personal experiences) that helped us all throughout the process.

My best wishes for all future sponsors and applicants of visitor/tourist visas.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X