Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info. pls -- visitor visa stamp extention

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to extend a visitor visa "beyond" the stamp date? My mom (who has a 10 yr multiple entry visa) arrived yesterday, her intended stay being 4.5 months. She showed her return ticket as well. However, she only got a 3-month stamp. This was very surprising because this is her 5th trip here and she has always received a 6-month stamp.
    Any thoughts on how we could get her stamp date extended by 1.5 months? Is there a procedure/form, etc. for this? Also, when should I file for the extention? If we don't receive INS' reply before her 3 months are over, can she legally stay until the response arrives?
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Himanshu

yes, it is possible to apply for extension. By filing form I-539. I am going through the same process for my mom, she also got 3 months stamp at Newark Airport. (She also had 6 month stamp in previous trip)

I am trying to figure out what would be best time to file (and if you wish, you can refer to my query trail with subject line "Question regarding visitor visa extension")

Comment

Thanks for your reply. It seems (from this forum and other sites) that about 1 month to 1.5 months before the expiration of 3 months is probably a good time to file for extention..

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X