Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we go on a cruise while an extension is filed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we go on a cruise while an extension is filed?

My parents are visiting us on a multiple entry visa. They arrived March 26th and were scheduled to leave Sept.24 after their 6 month stay here in the US. But we filed for an extension(I-539) for them in July. We have already received the application receipt notice with the case number but still awaiting the approval or denial.

In the meantime, we were thinking of taking a quick 5-day vacation. We were thinking of taking a Caribbean cruise. Can we do that? What papers will my parents need in that case. How will that work? The cruise route is Cayman Islands, Mexico, Jamaica. Will it be considered a re-entry into US?

I would appreciate if someone could guide me if this will be a good idea or not and if so, what do we need to know.

Thanks!

Can't do that. It would abandon the petition for extension and they may not be allowed back in the USA.
    Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

Thanks so much for your answer.
      Can they still travel within the US...while they are in the pending state?

If they take a flight, will they be questioned at the airport about their status?

Comment

They can safely travel within the continental US.
        Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X