Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• travel on I-551 stamp

Hi All,

I also happen to enter through SFO after having completed the consular process and have been waiting for the plastic. I need to travel outside the country this month and was wondering if not having the plastic would pose any problems during reentry.

All that I have is the I-551 stamp on my passport with the A# inscribed in it. Would I need to take any other supporting documents with me ? Has anyone been through this before ?

Thanks for your time.

Travel I-551

I was told by the immigration officer at SFO that I can travel outside the country as a regular green card holder. I am not sure if any other document is required to be carried.

Comment

travel on I-551

I went to canada over the long weekend and I did not have a problem. Didn't need a visa as well. So I guess you'll be fine.

Comment

travel on I-551 stamp

The stamp has the same legal power as the actual card.

-JoeF

Comment

travel

i went to Italy 1 month after I got the stamp; no problems anywhere; all immigration officers recognize the stamp.

Comment

How long the I-551 stamp needs to be valid from your return?

My I-551 stamp expires on 1/1/2002. I am planning to go to Australia in Nov-Dec. Returning around Dec 15.. Would that be a problem ? Or should I restamp the passport before then ?

Comment

Re: How long the I-551 stamp needs to be valid from your ret

If you are returning to USA before your stamp expires, you are fine. If your stay was less than 6 months, immigration will ask no questions.

But if by any chance you get delayed for some weird reason and entery after 1/1/2002, guess that trouble you will be facing !!!

So if I were you, I would get a fresh stamp by going to an INS office nearby and then travel.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X