Finally my parents are here with us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally my parents are here with us

Just wanted to let everybody know that my parents are finally here with us on immigration. They have not gotten the physical green card yet. Here's a brief timeline:

01/10/2007 Applied I-130 for Dad & Mom
    01/22/2007 Priority Date Set
    04/14/2007 Case Approved by USCIS and sent files to NVC
    05/10/2007 Received notice from NVC for choice of agent form
    05/11/2007 Faxed the form to my parents in India
    They signed it and physically mailed it to us here in US within 15 days.
    05/31/2007 Mailed the form to NVC
    Then received notice from NVC to pay the $70 for both my parents. (Not $140). Paid that.
    Received notice to pay $380 per parent - paid that - total $760.
    Sent the Affidavit of Support form - 1 for each parent alongwith all the supporting documents. 2 packets mailed to NVC.
    Received confirmation from NVC saying they have received all the required fees and that they are reviewing the AOS.
    By now it was July.
    Then we realized that my Mom's birth date was recorded in the dd/mm/yyyy format instead of mm/dd/yyyy in all the documentation. It was our mistake because we filed I-130 that way.
    So we called NVC and spoke to the CSR and they were very helpful - per their instructions, we mailed them my Mom's notarized copy of birth certificate and her passport biographic page copies stating the correct birth date. NVC corrected the same and sent us a notice that they had corrected the same in their records. This was around end of August 2007.
    THen we were waiting for them to send the files over to Bombay, India.
    Files were sent to India separately. My Dad's got their first on October 3rd. My Mom's got their on October 11th.
    We checked online the list of appointments and my Dad's appointment was schedule for November 23rd but my Mom's wasn't.
    So then we called Bombay embassy helpline to see if they can schedule both the interviews together. After quite a bit of phone calls we got through.
    Spoke to the CSR there and they said my Mom's was schedule for December 17th.
    They were co-operative too; they said they can move one of the dates so we had them move it to November 23rd but the appointment letter was required which my Mom never got.
    So had to call them again and they said that someone can go collect the duplicate appt letter from the information window for November 23rd. But my parents could not go there w/out help so I requested and they sent another letter too!
    My Dad received his letter before my Mom's (4 days after my Mom's came too)
    They got their medical done in Ahmedabad - Apollo hospital near Gandhinagar.
    We went their to accompany my parents at the interview.
    Interview was on day after thanksgiving.
    Nothing really fancy in the interview. Pretty basic questions.
    In Bombay we stayed at Hotel Royal Castle near Nava Chawk - pretty nice rooms and service was excellent. Rs.1500 Deluxe double bed. It is like 10-15 minutes drive from the embassy (10-15 minutes early morning at around 6.30 to 7AM)
    Anyways, they were approved for immigrant visa on November 23rd.

Thanks to all the forum members here - very useful - please let me know if you have any questions and I will check the forum and try to answer if I can.

Good luck to everybody else who is still trying. Hold your spirits high and you'll get their.

Congratulations

Hi Spra,

Congratulations and thanks for sharing the detailed information.
    Now you must be checking forums to see what insurance to buy etc.
    It will be of great help if your findings as well on insurance front.

BTW, one question. Can we FAX 'agent form' to india? or Does NVC expects to have the petitioner signature on original form only? DS -3032 is available is online but do we have to use only the one sent from NVC?

I am asking this to save time for my Mom. My mom's I130 is approved and wondering if I can simply sent DS 3032 form and ask her to sign it and send me back before NVC send's it to her.

Thanks.

Comment

List of documents..

Hi Spra,
      If you are still checking the forums can you please post the list of documents..

It will be helpful.

thank you

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by mesavisa
        Hi Spra,

Congratulations and thanks for sharing the detailed information.
        Now you must be checking forums to see what insurance to buy etc.
        It will be of great help if your findings as well on insurance front.

BTW, one question. Can we FAX 'agent form' to india? or Does NVC expects to have the petitioner signature on original form only? DS -3032 is available is online but do we have to use only the one sent from NVC?

I am asking this to save time for my Mom. My mom's I130 is approved and wondering if I can simply sent DS 3032 form and ask her to sign it and send me back before NVC send's it to her.

Thanks.
        Thanks MESAVISA! Yes you can fax the agent form to india but the one sent by NVC - not the one online. The only reason to wait for the form from NVC is because NVC prints a BAR code at the top of the form that they send you whereas the online form does not have this. This is a personalized bar code for each case. The signature however should be original - in other words, your mom cannot fax it back; she will have to mail it to you with her original signature. I will let you know about insurance when I buy one.

Comment

List of docs posted in the past

Originally posted by Xkuger
          Hi Spra,
          If you are still checking the forums can you please post the list of documents..

It will be helpful.

thank you
          I've done that in the past on this forum, please look it up and you should find it.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X